Below is a list of things you can do to increase the value of your home:
Consider Curb Appeal:
It is estimated that more than 50% of homes are sold before the buyers even get out of their cars. Stand across the street from your house and review the curb appeal.
· Keep the lawn mowed and raked, shrubs trimmed, and the sidewalk swept.
· Plant shrubs or install fencing to block unpleasant views.
· Clean the exterior of your home. Clean oil stains from the driveway and garage.
· Repair and/or paint exterior siding, trim, gutters, shutters, glazing, and window frames.
· Repair or replace the street numbers on the house.
· Make sure all exterior lighting is working.
Garages, Carports, and Sheds:
· Replace burned out lights.
· Clear away cobwebs.
· Keep areas clean and uncluttered. Organize and put away tools.
· Lubricate, adjust, or repair garage door.
On the inside, remove as much clutter as possible. Hire professionals to do a deep cleaning. Cleanliness is a sign to buyers that the home has been well cared for.
· Clean and vacuum carpets. Replace worn carpet and use area rugs as needed.
· Apply a fresh coat of paint.
· Wash curtains and draperies.
· Clean ceiling fans and light fixtures. Check for cobwebs in all corners.
· Clean and organize all closets and cabinets.
· Lubricate window slides; make sure doors close smoothly.
Kitchens and Bathrooms:
Overall, kitchens and bathrooms should be spotless. These two rooms alone can sell a home.
· Clean all appliances inside and out.
· Replace all light bulbs (appliances included).
· Clean floors and light fixtures.
· Deodorize disposal, dishwasher, and refrigerator. Neutralize odors and clean all mold and mildew.
· Repair leaky faucets. Make sure toilet flushes properly.
· Test all electrical outlets.
· Unclutter counters and cabinets.
· Clean shower door or replace curtain. Remove soap residue and lime deposits from sink, shower, and bathtub.
· Put out fresh towels.
Create a Pleasant Atmosphere:
Overall, make sure your home exudes an inviting atmosphere. You want the potential buyer to have a pleasant experience visiting your home so that they remember the positive attributes that your home possesses.
· Turn on all lights. Open drapes to allow natural light as well.
· Light candles and put out fresh flowers.
· Play quiet background music.
· Turn on the air conditioner or heater so that your home is at a pleasant temperature.
· Be absent during showings and keep pets outside.